Bittersweet

Monday, July 13, 2009 at 5:52 AM

Carefully, the yellowing paper I folded and bent,

While he watched eagerly, with mounting excitement

From the deep recesses of memory, instructions I dug,

Till finally for my efforts, I was rewarded with a hug.

Holding it aloft, he let out a triumphant yell

& ran into the open, where a torrent of rain fell.

Down our little lane, with speed increasing evermore,

Flowed water into a swirling pond, right at our front door.

To this he sped, sans umbrella or rain coat

& like a grim sea captain, set sail his boat.

How well a bit of paper can keep him enthralled..

Watching him, rainy days long-forgotten I recalled.

Boat races, water fights, loud squeals of joy,

Damp clothes, drenched hair & a salvaged bedraggled toy.

Buried incidents, all those long years of fun…

I can see them all clearly, when I look at my son.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Random thoughts | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com